The Battle isn’t over yet
1978 was the year the 4G63 was born; here we are 42 years later still introducing new parts for this motor. We rarely get any more 4G63’s to work on these days because they are a 20+ year old platform, we are mostly doing Porsche and GT-R’s. Because of almost 20 years of racing these buckets, we’ve still got so much “unfinished business” with this iconic engine that we can be producing new parts for another 10 years. Yes there are that many drawings, hand sketches, ideas, and solutions being thrown around here every day during our meetings. Magnus is all about dreaming big and making it happen.
It’s a Necessity
Here at Magnus we have been at the forefront of building race engines for the past two decades. When we say that we have done it all, we mean it, we have been through it all. Fortunately for the automotive enthusiast’s research and development being done by parts manufactures has been moving at such an unbelievable pace for the past decade and as engine and tire technology begin to reach new heights, the amount of G-force an engine experiences has increased dramatically. It has increased to the point where limitations to the factory engineered oil systems are being reached. With these limitations being reached a factory oiling system is no longer an option, as a matter a fact a Dry Sump system has become a necessity.
High RPM launch control, Cornering, Launching, Braking, any one of these will upset the oil level in your car. In drag racing what we experience is 2 step launch control for 2 – 4 seconds (depleting the pan of oil), a multiple G-force launch, moving the oil to the back of the pan. High rpm runs in the 8500 – 11,000 RPM range, further deplete the pan of oil. Compound this with trying to drain back through only 3 holes in the DSM engine’s case while excess pressure from the rings is trying to push its way up to the valve cover. Now, let’s pull the parachute! What little oil is left is pushed to the front of the motor. You can see why we resorted to overfilling our engines and immediately shutting them down after crossing the line. Overfilling the engines just would end up filling our breather tanks, causing other problems. All of these problems together can cause the oil level in the pan to run below the oil pickup, causing the pump to run dry and destroy your engine, oil pump, or turbo.
Dry sump oiling systems are far from new technology. They have been in use for decades and first originated to help against oil starvation in aircraft which flew inverted (upside down). Increasing vehicle G force levels, coupled with increasing crankcase pressures, it becomes apparent that OEM oil systems are not be able to provide adequate oil supply and oil evacuation. As an engine develops more power, it will require more oil pressure, more flow, and greater oil capacity. All of these issues are addressed with a dry sump oiling system.
If we moved to an external reservoir, which could always supply oil we would be able to eliminate all of these problems. We needed a dry sump oiling system. It is no longer an option, this is a necessary component in reduced maintenance, wear, and the added vacuum scavenging benefit will result in increased power.
We solve problems
It’s been many years since the release of our first version of the dry sump kit for the Mitsubishi Evolution 4-9, and it is always evolving. Our kit is a bit more expensive than onther, but it is more comprehensive (includes more parts) and offers higher quality parts in the kit.
The new and improved dry sump kit has the convenience of being a bolt on kit, and allows you to keep power steering, along with OEM location for the alternator. For more convenience we have designed it so you can keep all the factory accessory belts along with the timing belt and timing cover.
- Magnus Billet 6061 Oil pan and Sump – RWD configuration available
- Billet 6061 Front cover with included gasket, OEM pump delete, and Balance shaft delete kit
- Billet 6061 Mounting brackets
- Stock balancer gear or add ATI Drive
- Add ATI Damper
- Peterson R4 dry Sump Pump – Optional 3 or 4 stage
- Provisions for Mechanical Fuel Pump (3/8th hex drive driven off rear of pump)
- Peterson or Peterson Oil Tank (Multiple Sizes Available)
- Magnus Breather Tank
- Magnus High volume remote spin on oil filter
- All ORB fittings for tanks and Dry sump kit included
- Scavenge filter screens included to protect pump
- Kit is complete except for lines
- Comprehensive instruction kit and Dry sump theory of operation instruction
- Optional Race Mechanical Power Steering Pump (3/8th hex drive driven off rear of pump)
- Optional Electric A/C
- MMCENG2012 Magnus Dry Sump Complete Kit – Evolution IV to IX 3 Stage Pump
- MMCENG2012-301 Magnus Dry Sump Complete Kit – Evolution IV to IX 3 Stage ATI Drive
- MMCENG2012-302 Magnus Dry Sump Complete Kit – Evolution IV to IX 3 Stage ATI Damper Included
- MMCENG2012-400 Magnus Dry Sump Complete Kit – Evolution IV to IX 4 Stage Pump
- MMCENG2012-401 Magnus Dry Sump Complete Kit – Evolution IV to IX 4 Stage ATI Drive
- MMCENG2012-402 Magnus Dry Sump Complete Kit – Evolution IV to IX 4 Stage ATI Damper Included